Updated March 31, 2020 – NBTS responds to COVID-19 – Schedule Changes, Closings, & Information
March 31, 2020
Greeting NBTS Family,
I pray earnestly that each of you are faring well in this time of adjustment and reorientation. Please pray for several members of our seminary family who have tested positive for Covid-19, and one who has been hospitalized and placed on a ventilator.
I write to update you on several matters, including class schedules and commencement.
- Based on the recommendation by the VP/Dean of Academic Affairs and our faculty I have decided that we will continue our classes online for the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester and also for the Summer 2020 semester.
- The April 4, 2020 Warren Dennis Lecture has been postponed.
- Our Underwood International Symposium in Seoul, Korea and our Summer School of Theology in Amsterdam are both officially cancelled.
- Formal Baccalaureate and Commencement on May 22 & 23, 2020 are postponed.
- Around the end of the academic year, we will have an online, end-of-the-year celebration for the entire NBTS family. More information to come.
- We will hold individual degree-conferring ceremonies with each graduate later in the summer. During these ceremonies, the graduate will be hooded by the VP/Dean and their degree will be conferred by the President.
- Our 2020 graduates will be included in our 2021 Commencement celebration.
Thank you for adjusting to the “new normal” in a manner that affirms our mission as a seminary and as leaders in our society.
In Joy and In Justice!
–President Micah L. McCreary
March 15, 2020 Update
A new study has revealed that the COVID-19 virus can live on surfaces from 2 to 5 days. Updated actions:
Classroom Instruction at NBTS
- Beginning Monday, March 16 until further notice, all course instruction will be delivered remotely. All face-to-face instruction is suspended.
- We are encouraging all members of the Seminary Community to employ the following social distancing techniques:
- Keep at least six feet between yourself and others.
- Avoid close contact, including handshakes and hugging.
- On-site Warren Dennis Lecture and Women’s Stories Day Program are both cancelled. Information regarding the on-line lectures is forthcoming.
- All members of our community are asked to frequently wash your hands for 20 seconds and check your temperature daily.
Gardner Sage Library
Starting Saturday, March 14, the Gardner A. Sage Library will be closed until further notice.
- Beginning Reading Week, Sage Library’s online services will be available Monday to Friday 11AM-5PM and Saturday noon-5PM. To schedule an online appointment email: email@example.com.
Faculty and Staff
- NBTS offices will be closed until further notice.
- Employees are to work from home. If an employee has to work in the building, please wear gloves until you have reached your office and wear gloves as you exit your office. Sanitize your work area with alcohol-based wipes and wash your hands as you enter and exit your office area.
- Employees are to use Zoom in lieu of in-person meetings.
- Employees may go in on Monday or Tuesday to pick up any materials they may need to work from home.
- Supervisors will be in touch with their employees by phone or zoom to discuss work assignments while employees work from home.
- All public events are cancelled until further notice.
–President Micah L. McCreary