Editorial Assistant – In Trust Center for Theological Schools
Any interested candidates must submit a cover letter along with a resume to Gail Carlucci at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The mission of the In Trust Center for Theological Schools is to strengthen theological schools by connecting their leaders to essential resources for mission vitality.
The In Trust Center is a membership organization with a long history of service to seminaries, theological colleges, and other similar institutions that prepare students for Christian service and scholarship. The work of our employees affects religious communities throughout North America: We believe that for religious life to flourish, strong parishes and congregations are essential. These congregations need strong leaders who are shaped and formed within thriving seminaries.
Three strategic values permeate all our work within the office staff as well as with our member schools: Excellence, Service, and Trust.
The Editorial Assistant is a non-exempt position reporting to the Managing Editor.
This position provides editorial, project management, and administrative support to the Publications program at the In Trust Center for Theological Schools. The editorial assistant is expected to gain a strong understanding of the In Trust Center’s member institutions and their administrators, faculty, and board members, who are the primary readers of our signature publication, In Trust magazine.
Quarterly publication (In Trust magazine)
- Manage information for and occasionally write the news section of the magazine.
- Manage relationships with communications officers at seminaries.
- Obtain photos.
- Fact-check articles.
- Proofread and help copyedit articles.
- Write table of contents and “In Trust Center Works for You” column for each issue.
- Work with the publisher and managing editor to track the status of each article for publication.
- Implement writer agreements, complimentary copies mailing, and the transfer of articles to the American Theological Library Association.
- Implement reader surveys and create reports.
- Contact writers, interviewees, and other contributors as directed.
- Procure review copies of books as directed.
- Perform other editorial support tasks as directed.
- Respond to member questions about website use.
- Fulfill requests for copies of the magazine.
- Implement online surveys as directed.
- Perform other reader service tasks as directed.
Website and social media
- Upload each magazine issue to HTML pages on the website.
- Proofread and help copyedit text intended for website, blog, and enewsletter.
- Post text and images to the website, including to the board-only section of the site.
- Write blog posts and manage other blog contributors.
- Implement monthly e-newsletter (based on latest blog posts and other material).
- Manage Google Analytics reports.
- Manage subscriptions to MailChimp, Canva, and Hootsuite.
- Perform other web and digital media tasks.
- Work with communications team to plan and administer Writer Workshop events.
- Manage details of events including communications with writers, contacts at venues, and details of agenda as requested.
- Perform other events management tasks as directed.
- Act as point person for ad space requests and post ads to website and enewsletter.
- Keep information for advertisers clear and up to date.
- Perform other advertising-related tasks as directed.
Assist with other office duties and projects as requested, including data entry, mailings, writing project descriptions for foundation reporting, transcribing interviews, and proofreading materials for other departments.
- Excellent, demonstrable proficiency in writing and editing.
- Strong ability to master media-related technology and coach other staff members on using this technology.
- Strong organizing abilities.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments and prioritize work to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work well both as team member and independently.
- Sensitivity to the diverse religious commitments of our constituents.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Familiarity with website content management systems, email blast software, HTML, CSS, and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Familiarity with AP style preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least two years’ experience in journalism or a related field preferred
- Interest in advancing the mission of the In Trust Center for Theological Schools.
Interested candidates will be directed to complete an editing test and will be asked for a writing sample.