The Classis Leader will serve in an executive leadership role in Great Lakes City Classis (GLCC), to develop and empower leaders, plant new churches and expand the vitality and missional impact of our congregations.
The Classis Leader will work in partnership with the Executive Team and the staff of the GLCC.
• Demonstrate and exhibit a personal lifestyle and confession that Jesus is Lord of his/her life.
• Endorse the mission, vision and values of GLCC.
• Has a proven track record that demonstrates leadership and spiritual gifts for the position.
• Demonstrate visionary leadership and skills for planning, developing, organizing and implementing processes and methods to fulfill mission and vision.
• Must be a team player, willing to work effectively within the organizational structure of the GLCC.
• Possess people skills required to relate to a diverse cross section of people and churches.
• Demonstrate an awareness and belief that every church is uniquely shaped by God and must be treated fairly with kindness, love, respect and dignity.
• Possess a love for the Church and a passion for leading Her to Kingdom faithfulness and effectiveness.
• Possess a passion for church planting and the ability to help catalyze the planting of new churches within the GLCC.
• Possess the ability to motivate, encourage and equip people to execute the mission and vision of GLCC.
• Familiar with and supportive of RCA doctrine and GLCC organizational structure.
• Establish vision for GLCC mission, seeking guidance from God, GLCC Executive Team, Consistories and Classis members.
o Create strategies for producing the changes needed to achieve the vision.
o Create metrics to measure faithfulness and fruitfulness.• Motivate and empower staff, team leaders and classis members to understand, embrace and live out the vision of GLCC.
o Provide leadership and accountability for the Classis staff.
o Work in partnership with the Classis President to provide leadership to the Executive Team and Classis.
o Work with the Executive Team to manage the inner workings of classis activities.
o Provide a format for reporting ministry activities to the Executive Team.• Maintain a visible presence within the Classis and work to develop a close and familiar relationship with pastors and church leaders.
o Provide training and resources for classis churches that will help them accomplish their calling within the vision of the GLCC.
o Assist churches in living out the Biblical mandate of prayer for the advancement of the Kingdom of God.
o Meet with consistories and pastors to assist them in discovering what God is calling them to become.
o Meet with classis pastors and spouses for support and encouragement as needed.
o Oversee churches in times of vacancy, matching supervisors and/or interim pastors as necessary.\• Refine and implement strategy for developing clergy and lay leaders.
o Arrange for short-term mentors to orient newly ordained pastors and those transferring into the classis.
o Promote a culture of coaching within the classis by developing coaches and matching them with pastors and other church leaders.
o Provide a variety of delivery vehicles for leadership such as workshops, personalized development plans, internships, learning communities, geographical clusters and the like.
• Promote church planting by resourcing parent churches and planters.
• Be available to assess conflict situations and make necessary referrals for mediation and conflict management.
• Attend Classis meetings and events
o Attend stated and special Classis meetings. Be available upon request to attend Classis team meetings.
o Present a report on the state of the Classis annually.• Work with the Regional and General Synods to ensure that GLCC is a valuable partner.
• The Classis Leader is accountable to the Executive Team which will be responsible for all performance reviews.
• Total compensation range for this position is $90,000 – $120,000 and includes salary as well as:
o Retirement: full contributions will be made to the RCA Retirement Plan as required by the BCO Call Form.
o Insurance Coverage: RCA Major Medical (including family), Group Life and Long Term Disability are to be provided by the Classis. The Classis may choose to provide major medical coverage using another provider if comparable coverages are provided. Family coverage may be excluded only if family coverage is provided through a spousal insurance program. Dental and Long Term Care (including family) are optional and may be added to the required insurance provisions.
o Housing: the Classis shall provide a housing allowance which equals at least 30% of the base salary. The amount designated for the housing allowance and reported to the IRS may be adjusted to take advantage of IRS regulations. The agreement must be recorded in the Classis minutes at the beginning of each year.
o Social Security: The Classis Leader shall be reimbursed for Social Security payments at the rate of one-half the rate payable by a self-employed person. This reimbursement is calculated on the base salary plus housing. If the Classis Leader has elected not to be part of the Social Security System, an equal allowance is to be made for another appropriate retirement program. The Classis shall require evidence that this other retirement program has benefits comparable to Social Security benefits, including Medicare.
o Professional Development: A minimum of one week with a stipend equal to not less than 1/52 of the annual minimum base salary (excluding housing allowance) shall be granted each year for professional development. By mutual agreement, this time and money may be accumulated up to a maximum of four years of service.
o Vacation: The minimum amount of vacation time granted each year shall be 4 weeks.
o Car Allowance: Use of a vehicle for ministry purposes shall be reimbursed at the current IRS per mile rate (in the case of personal vehicle usage) or for the actual expenses (in the case of a rental vehicle). Note that per IRS rules, one round trip commute each day is not a reimbursable expense.
o Sabbatical: A sabbatical of six weeks at full salary will be granted after each seven years of service. The sabbatical shall be scheduled at a time mutually agreed upon by the Executive Team and the Classis Leader. The plan for the sabbatical shall be approved by the Executive Team with the clear intention that the sabbatical benefit both the Classis Leader and the Classis.