Biblical Studies Old Testament
Articles and Databases
Religion Database with ATLASerials combines the premier index to journal articles, book reviews, and collections of essays in all fields of religion with ATLA’s online collection of major religion and theology journals. Articles can be searched for by keyword or by Scripture verse.
Academic Search Premier
This multi-disciplinary database provides full text for more than 4,600 journals, including full text for nearly 3,900 peer-reviewed titles. PDF backfiles to 1975 or beyond are available for well over one hundred journals, and searchable cited references are provided for more than 1,000 titles.
Oxford Scholarship Online – Religion
Click on the Religion link on the left side of the screen, then click on Biblical Studies. The login is the same as ATLA or Academic Search Premier.
This is a collection of Ebooks published by OUP in all areas of religion and theology. The books included cover a wide variety of topics including the Bible and History. In addition to recent major titles, the list also includes classic works of enduring influence.
Biblical Archeology Review
Catholic Bible Quarterly
Horizons in Biblical Theology
Interpretation: a journal of Bible and Theology
Journal for the Study of the Old Testament
Journal of Biblical Literature
Zeitschrift für die Alttestamentliche Wissenschaft
Reference books cannot be checked out of the library
The complete parallel Bible : containing the Old and New Testaments with the Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical books : New Revised Standard Version, Revised English Bible, New American Bible, New Jerusalem Bible.
LC REFERENCE REF BS125 1993
The interlinear Bible, Hebrew-Greek-English : with Strong’s concordance numbers above each word / Jay P. Green, Sr., general editor and translator
LC REFERENCE REF BS3.5 1986
JPS Hebrew-English Tanakh : the traditional Hebrew text and the new JPS translation = Tanakh
LC REFERENCE REF BS895 .J4 1999
[Torah, Neviim u-Khetuvim] = Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia / quae antea cooperantibus A. Alt, O. Eissfeldt, P. Kahle, R. Kittel ; adjuvantibus H. Bardtke … [et al.]
LC REFERENCE BS715 1997
The strongest Strong’s exhaustive concordance of the Bible / James Strong.
LC REFERENCE REF BS425 .S8 2001b
The Eerdmans analytical concordance to the Revised Standard Version of the Bible / compiled by Richard E. Whitaker ; with James E. Goehring and research personnel of the Institute for Antiquity and Christianity.
LC REFERENCE REF BS425 .W48 1988
The NRSV concordance unabridged : including the apocryphal/deuterocanonical books / John R. Kohlenberger III.
LC REFERENCE BS425 .K645 1991
Anchor Bible dictionary / David Noel Freedman, editor-in-chief ; associate editors, Gary A. Herion, David F. Graf, John David Pleins ; managing editor, Astrid B. Beck.
LC REFERENCE REF BS440 .A54 1992
LC REFERENCE REF CD-ROM WORKSTATION
Eerdmans dictionary of the Bible / David Noel Freedman, editor-in-chief ; Allen C. Myers, associate editor ; Astrid B. Beck, managing editor.
LC REFERENCE REF BS440 .E44 2000
The HarperCollins Bible dictionary / general editor, Paul J. Achtemeier ; associate editors, Roger S. Boraas … [et al.] with the Society of Biblical Literature.
LC REFERENCE REF BS440 .H235 1996
Dictionary for theological interpretation of the Bible / Kevin J. Vanhoozer, general editor ; Craig G. Bartholomew, Daniel J. Treier, and N.T. Wright, associate editors.
LC REFERENCE REF BS440 .D495 2005
The New Interpreter’s dictionary of the Bible.
LC REFERENCE REF BS440 .N445 2006 v 1-.5
Dictionaries of the Old Testament
Dictionary of the Old Testament. / editors, T. Desmond Alexander, David W. Baker et al.
LC REFERENCE REF BS440 .D53 2003 v.1-3
Nelson’s expository dictionary of the Old Testament / edited by Merrill F. Unger, William White, Jr.
LC REFERENCE REF BS440 .N345
Lexicons and Language Dictionaries
A Bilingual Dictionary of the Hebrew and Aramaic Old Testament : English and German / edited by Ludwig Koehler … Walter Baumgartner.
LC REFERENCE REF PJ4833 .K64 1998
Theological dictionary of the Old Testament. /Edited by G. Johannes Botterweck and Helmer Ringgren. Translator: John T. Willis.
LC REFERENCE REF BS440 .T513 (alphabetical by Hebrew word)
Dictionary of Old Testament words for English readers / by Aaron Pick.
LC REFERENCE REF BS1125 .P53 1977
The Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English lexicon : based on the lexicon of William Gesenius, as translated by Edward Robinson, and edited with constant reference to the thesaurus of Gesenius as completed by E. Rödiger, and with authorized use
LC REFERENCE REF PJ4833 .B684 2007
A reader’s Hebrew-English lexicon of the Old Testament / Terry A. Armstrong, Douglas L. Busby, Cyril F. Carr.
LC REFERENCE REF PJ4833 .A69 1984
Theological lexicon of the Old Testament / [edited by] Ernst Jenni, Claus Westermann ; translated by Mark E. Biddle.
LC REFERENCE REF BS440 .T49513 1997 v.1-3 (alphabetical by Hebrew word)
The Anchor Bible/ Various
LC REFERENCE REF BS192.2.A1 1964 .G3 v.1-44
The Oxford Bible commentary / edited by John Barton and John Muddiman.
LC REFERENCE REF BS491.3 .O94 2001
The HarperCollins Bible commentary / general editor, James L. Mays ; associate editors, Joseph Blenkinsopp … [et al.] ; with the Society of Biblical Literature.
LC REFERENCE REF BS491.2 .H37 2000
Eerdmans commentary on the Bible / James D.G. Dunn, general editor ; John W. Rogerson, editor of the Old Testament and Apocrypha.
LC REFERENCE REF BS491.3 .E37 2003
The New Interpreter’s Bible : general articles & introduction, commentary, & reflections for each book of the Bible, including the Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical books.
LC REFERENCE REF BS491.2 .N484 1994 v.1-13
LC MAIN BS491.2 .N484 1994 v.1-13
Word Biblical Commentary
LC REFERENCE REF BS491.2 .W67 v1-52c
LC REFERENCE REF BS491.2.I54 1982 v1-42
Items in the Library’s Reading Room may generally be checked out of the Library. The following guide to call numbers will indicate where the more commonly sought after materials may be found. Using the phrases found below (eg. Bible. O.T. Genesis) can also yield better results when searching by subject in our online catalog.
- BS1-2970 The Bible
- BS125-355 Modern texts and versions
- BS125-198 English Texts
- BS199-313 Texts in European languages
- BS 315-324 Asian languages
- BS 325-329 African languages
- BS125-355 Modern texts and versions
- BS410-680 Works about the Bible as a whole
- BS500-534.8 Criticism and interpretation
- BS569-580 Men, women, and children of the Bible
- BS580 Individual Old Testament characters
- BS585-613 Study and teaching
- BS701-1830 Old Testament as a whole
- BS825-1013 Modern texts and versions
- BS1110-1199 Works about the Old Testament
- BS1160-1191.5 Criticism and interpretation
- BS1200-1830 Commentaries on parts of the Old Testament
- 1230-1239 Bible. O.T. Genesis
- 1241-1245.6 Bible. O.T. Exodus
- 1251-1255.6 Bible. O.T. Leviticus
- 1261-1265.6 Bible. O.T. Numbers
- 1291-1295.6 Bible. O.T. Joshua
- 1301-1305.6 Bible. O.T. Judges
- 1311-1315.6 Bible. O.T. Ruth
- 1321-1325.6 Bible. O.T. Samuel, Kings
- 1341-1345.6 Bible. O.T. 1-2 Chronicles
- 1351-1355.6 Bible. O.T. Ezra
- 1361-1365.6 Bible. O.T. Nehemiah
- 1371-1375.6 Bible. O.T. Esther
- 1401-1405.6 Poetical books as whole
- 1410 Psalms, Proverbs, Job (in combination)
- 1411-1415.6 Bible. O.T. Job
- 1416-1450 Bible. O.T. Psalms
- 1455 Wisdom Literature
- 1461-1465.6 Bible. O.T. Proverbs
- 1471-1475.6 Bible. O.T. Ecclesiastes
- 1481-1485.6 Bible. O.T. The Song of Solomon
- 1501-1509 The prophets as a whole
- 1510-1520.6 Bible. O.T. Isaiah
- 1521-1525.6 Bible. O.T. Jeremiah
- 1531-1535.6 Bible. O.T. Lamentations
- 1541-1545.6 Bible. O.T. Ezekiel
- 1551-1555.6 Bible. O.T. Daniel
- 1560 The Minor Prophiets as a whole
- 1561-1565.6 Bible. O.T. Hosea
- 1571-1575.6 Bible. O.T. Joel
- 1581-1585.6 Bible. O.T. Amos
- 1591-1595.6 Bible. O.T. Obadiah
- 1601-1605.6 Bible O.T. Jonah
- 1611-1615.6 Bible. O.T. Micah
- 1621-1625.6 Bible. O.T. Nahum
- 1631-1635.6 Bible. O.T. Habakkuk
- 1641-1645.6 Bible. O.T. Zephaniah
- 1651-1655.6 Bible. O.T. Haggai
- 1661-1665.6 Bible. O.T.Zechariah
- 1671-1675.6 Bible. O.T. Malachi
- 1705 Apocalypses
- 1711-1825.6 Bible. O.T. Apocrypha (divided by book)
On-line Guides and References
Websites (many more found in Reference Guides)
Biblical Research – Internet Resources for Students of Scripture
Bible Study Tools – Offers a number of resources including multiple translations, parallel readings, commentaries, and concordances
iTanakh – Indexes which focus on materials of interest to students of the Tanakh or Hebrew Bible.
Oremus Bible Browser – The NRSV Online
Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon – Brown, Driver, Briggs Lexicon; this is keyed to the Theological Word Book of the Old Testament. Old Testament English texts include KJV and NAS. (may require free font download)
Religious Studies Web Guide (University of Calgary) – This web site, in existence since 1995, focuses on free internet resources of use to researchers involved in the academic study of religion.
Biblical Art on the WWW – Search by subject or scripture text